Glapwell is a small Parish covering 774 acres of land. It is 3 miles from Bolsover, seven miles from Chesterfield on the main A617 Chesterfield to Mansfield Road, accessible from junction 29 of the M1 motorway.
Glapwell has a Parish Council and its District Authority is Bolsover. It is in the ward of Pleasley and in the County of Derbyshire. The population is 1496 people, of which 733 are male and 763 are female.
The once very busy Glapwell colliery closed in the 1960’s and was demolished to be replaced by an industrial estate.
The village has a thriving community life with both cricket and football pitches, numerous local community groups and is served by a GP branch surgery, a post offices, shops and two pubs.
What do we do at Glapwell Parish Council
- Provide a sports hall at the Glapwell Centre catering for all ages
- Provide grounds for both Cricket and Football Clubs in Glapwell
- Run the Community Centre at Glapwell and employ the staff working there
- Maintain various public facilities around the parish including children’s playground
- Are consulted over all planning applications and provide local feedback to the planning authorities
- Are the official forum for referring issues to the District and County Council
- Produce formal accounts for its activities each year and these are available to the public at the Annual Meeting or on request to the Parish Clerk
- Parish Meeting held each year.